perl-unicode

Re: List of unsupported unicode characters?

2007-01-10 01:03:08
At 11:10 PM -0800 1/9/07, John Costello wrote:
Is there a list of utf8 characters that perl cannot map, for example
"\xA0"?  This is with Perl 5.8.3.

Have a look at the perldelta files that come with Perl; they will tell you what particular version of the Unicode standard that it understands.

Then look up your character to what version it is part of.

Perl 5.8.0   understood Unicode 3.2.0.
Perl 5.8.1-3 understood Unicode 4.0.0.
Perl 5.8.4-6 understood Unicode 4.0.1.
Perl 5.8.7-8 understood Unicode 4.1.0.

Suffice it to say that I never recommend anything older than Perl 5.8.1 to anyone, for various reasons, including the above.

Now that the consortium has Unicode 5.0.0 out, I hope that Perl 5.8.9 includes an understanding of it. Or if it doesn't, then Perl 5.10.0 should at least, and I think already does in its 5.9.x dev branch.

-- Darren Duncan