perl-unicode

Problem processing UTF-8 strings from email

2008-01-12 17:28:11
(Apologies if you see a duplicate - I think I may have originally sent this to the wrong list)

Hi all,

I am somewhat experienced with Perl in general, but absolutely no experience dealing with UTF-8. I have a community journals website which allows updates from users via email. I'm having trouble with emails that contain Chinese characters encoded (I think) as UTF-8. The strings look like this:

=?UTF-8?B?5qGQ5LmhLCBUb25neGlhbmc6IEJlaW5nIGEgJ2hhbg==?= =?UTF-8?B?dHUn?=

When I read this text from a file, using my perl script, and then save it into MySQL, it comes out on the website looking literally like the above. I can't seem to get perl to "do" anything with it in terms of conversions to a format that looks like chinese characters when displayed on the Web.

Does anybody have any clues as to how to convert strings like this into something more usable - e.g. HTML character entities?

I'm using stock perl 5.8.8 from Debian Etch.

Thanks!

/Neil