perl-unicode

Re: Installing Encode.pm for Perl 5.6.1

2013-07-05 15:09:56
On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 09:50:36AM +0530, Arun wrote:
Hi Team,

We have a legacy Perl application which was developed using Perl 5.6.1.

I would like to Install Encode.pm which is a pre requisite for
Cache::Memcached.

When i tried to install Encode.pm for Perl 5.6.1 it fails as it compatible
with Perl 5.7, Is there any other way to install it for Perl 5.6.1..?

No, sorry. Encode needs features in perl 5.8.0 or later.

I'd be surprised if anyone subscribed to this list is using 5.6.1, both
because it's very very old, and because the Unicode support in 5.8.0 and
later is significantly better. So you're probably on your own here.

Your choices aren't ideal. If you're constrained to using 5.6.1 you should
probably switch to using the 5.6.1-known-good CPAN mirror at
http://cp5.6.1an.barnyard.co.uk/
to get older versions of modules known to pass tests on 5.6.1
There may be an older version of Cache::Memcached that works on 5.6.1

Otherwise I'd guess that your least worse choice to progress is to locally
fork Cache::Memcached and remove the code in it which requires Encode.

Nicholas Clark