perl-unicode

Re: Encode UTF-8 optimizations

2016-09-25 11:50:16
On 09/25/2016 04:06 AM, pali(_at_)cpan(_dot_)org wrote:
On Thursday 01 September 2016 09:30:08 pali(_at_)cpan(_dot_)org wrote:
On Wednesday 31 August 2016 21:27:37 Karl Williamson wrote:
We may change Encode in blead too, since it already differs from
cpan. I'll have to get Sawyer's opinion on that.  But the next
step is for me to fix Devel::PPPort to handle the things that
Encode needs, issue a pull request there, and after that is
resolved issue an Encode PR.

Hi! One month passed, do you have any progress in syncing blead and cpan
Encode version? Or do you need some help?

I don't see any way to easily split up the tasks. In the next 48 hours I will push to blead the changes for Encode to use. In working on this, I've seen some other things I think should happen to blead to give XS writers all they need so they won't be tempted to get to such a low level as before,and introduce security bugs. And I am working on this and expect to finish this coming week. After this soaks in blead for a while, I'll issue a pull request so that all the tools are in Devel::PPPort. At that time Encode can be sync'd.

In my opinion we should sync Encode version in blead and on cpan.
Currently they are more or less different which can cause problems...

Anyway, I have some suggestions for changes about warnings in
Encode::utf8 package. If you have time, please look at that (I sent
email) and tell what do you think about it... In my opinion that
should be fixed too and I can prepare patches (after decision will
be made).