Re: formail and multiple tasks

1995-10-12 16:32:55
dattier(_at_)wwa(_dot_)com (David W. Tamkin)  wrote:

[chop.chop]

It is far more efficient, if possible, to use one program than two with a
pipe; if formail can do the job alone with -X "", that's better than piping
formail to unblank.

| unblank is a small program I plinked out to get a line from stdin and send
| it to stdout as long as it wasn't blank.

You mean it's equivalent to

    grep .

(note the period)?

Kool, just what I was looking for.  Last night.  :)

As I (believe I) stated in my original post, I'm not a UNIX guru.  I kludge
around, (tho frequently use E/F/grep in MS-DOS implementations -- I've never
seen one that was a complete port of what is available on UNIX, or one that
was which was anywhere near efficient).  My use of grep has pretty much been
limited to -i -c type searches for quick searching through raw text files.
Anything more complex, and I just toss off a program to do it.

I'll make note of the grep blank line finder (I had been thinking I'd have to
form a regular expression  of "start of line" "end of line", and figured, it
only took 90 seconds to crank out a program to do it, why hassle?

SO the answer I'm getting is, there isn't anything unkosher about removing
the separator, and inserting a pre-made/whatever header.  And there appear to
be several ways to do this already.  Good.

--
(margin problems, if any, are due to problems in the interface software)

NetCruisers:  ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ps/pse/www/pse_home.html
Home of NCUtil, 3rd-party utility links (including Winsock), and FAQs!

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395
 CompuServe: 72210,521           Internet: PSE(_at_)ix(_dot_)netcom(_dot_)com