Re: mail coming in bypassing procmail entirely

1995-10-13 12:25:23
I'm running procmail v3.11pre3 on Sparc solaris2.3.

Once every few days, I see a mail message come in that seemingly
"procmail" never saw.  I know from the "To:" list that it should have
gone to my mailing list directory, but it arrived in my regular
mailbox.  I checked the procmail log file to see what it did when it
processed it, but I can't find any record of it at all.  I have
VERBOSE on, but it still had no record of it.

Check the Received: headers to see what path it took to get to your
mailbox.  The first header (which was the last added) should be from
your mailhost (or whatever machine is supposed to to final delivery
for your mailbox).  If it isn't, then something is wrong with whatever
machine did do final delivery, as it should have passed it on to
(eventually) the correct machine.  You may have an older sun (4.x)
running the non-mx sendmail, or something like that on your net.  Don't
let it wait, as you could lose mail sometime from this sucker delivering
the same time as the correct machine.

Philip Guenther

Philip Guenther                 UNIX Systems and Network Administrator
Internet: guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu   Phonenet: (507) 933-7596
Gustavus Adolphus College       St. Peter, MN 56082-1498
I am _not_ a representative sample of the Gustavus Community.  Yeah, right...
Source code never lies (it just misleads).  (Programming by Purloined Letter?)