escaping special characters (in general)

1995-10-27 11:43:01
I'm setting up a procmail filter that will give "Priority: A" to messages
of a particular subject which I have sent (via my own sendmail).  Basically,
I'm getting the value of "Subject:" and putting it as a filter in the form:

:0f
*^subject: (re:)? *the extracted subject
| formail -I "Priority: A"

Now, this works fine _as_long_as_the_extracted_subject_does_not_have_any
regular_expression_characters_in_it_.  Are there any scripts or programs
which will take a string with regular expression characters in it and
escape them all as output?

--
Internet: dummy(_at_)emf(_dot_)net                  In real life: Robert Brown,
              >> Make love, not more. <<               in sunny Berkeley, CA
          >> Vasectomy prevents abortion. <<           waiting for The Big One
        ** finger dummy(_at_)emf(_dot_)net for PGP key **         (510) 464-4604