On this spam stuff....

1995-11-04 14:29:30
Before we start in on another round of "I'm calling the FBI" is there some
way to use these constant spammish reminders in a good way, that is to
force us to look seriously at how mailing list design eases the door open
for the garbage and makes tracing it difficult?  A few quick thoughts (I'm
not married to either of them):

o - outbound remailings ought to include the Received: headers (CERN <?>
lisproc does this)

o - postings containing certain 'trigger words' (yoshio, "Magazine
Sub","natvan") maybe ought to be gated over to the list owner for review
before passing them along?

Just a few thoughts, and others surely have more and better ones.  The
cops will be as much help as usual, i.e., no help, so let's help
ourselves!

--
Howard Goldstein        <hg(_at_)n2wx(_dot_)ampr(_dot_)org>
http://www.tapr.org/~n2wx/