forwarding mail

1995-11-08 16:52:46
I don't know if tools in th procmail suite will solve the following
problem or not, but I am open to suggestions:

My ISP has mail configured so that mail to anyone(_at_)my(_dot_)domain will be
automatically forwarded to me at gjw(_at_)best(_dot_)com(_dot_) I have not yet
registeded
a custom domain name (which is why I used my.domain), but internally they
identify PPP accounts using the pseudo-domain user.group.best.com, so I
am gjw.vip.best.com. Mail sent to any of the following

gjw(_at_)best(_dot_)com
anything(_at_)gjw(_dot_)vip(_dot_)best(_dot_)com
anything(_at_)[204(_dot_)156(_dot_)153(_dot_)57]

will be delivered to my POP3 mailbox. Now, what I would like to do is
archive mail using either of the later two addreses to a file, but leave
mail of the first form (or mail to gjw(_at_)shellx(_dot_)best(_dot_)com) alone.

That part seems fairly straightforward, except that if recipients of both
types are listed, I want the mail both archived and saved in my INBOX.

Okay, so much for the easy part. Periodically (perhaps at the end of the
day) I want to actually transmit the archived mail to my workstation
(which will be running an SMTP listener). The only way I can figure out
to do this is to actually open a TCP/IP connection to port 25 on my
worksation and actually use SMTP to transmit the mail. I've tried this
and it works. Except, I want to take the messages in my "archive", add
the appropriate Received: header, and transmit them.

As near as I can tell, sendmail can't do this for me because it will
encounter MX records for the domain best.com. Can I force it to ignore
any MX records and send mail directly to a domain or IP address?

The reason I want to do all of this is that I don't have a dedicated
line, just dial up PPP and I would like to evaluate Listserv95 in my
current configuration.

---
Gregory Woodhouse     gjw(_at_)best(_dot_)com
home page:            http://www.best.com/~gjw/
resource page:        http://www.best.com/~gjw/resource/