Another Newbie Question or two.

1995-11-09 17:11:06
Hi,

As the subject says, I'm just starting out with procmail.  (Using the pre4
version).  I've read the FAQ and I have the man page in front of me now.
But I still have a few questions.  Sorry if it's boring.

I don't fully understand a few flags.

First, the "W" and "w" flags.  Since the "c" flag starts another procmail
process, does the "w" flag say wait until the first recipe is complete
before starting this other procmail process?  This is because you need the
output from the previous recipe, for example?

Then, when whould you use the "W" flag?  Why wouldn't you want the "program
failure" message?  To avoid receiving a failure messsage as input to the
next action?

The "A" and "a" flags are a bit confusing to me, too.  I understand how to
make a recipe dependent on the previous recipe (without having to restate
the conditions).  The "a" flag adds the additional condition to the "A" flag
"the immediately preceeding recipe must have been successfully completed
before this recipe is executed".  So is the "a" flag the same things as
using "A" on this recipe, and the "w" on the previous?

Then, with the procmail -t switch, what would be the case you would want to
use this?

Thanks for your help.

Bill                |
moseley(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com  |