Re: Trying to use $1 from -a argument

1995-11-30 12:44:35
Sten Drescher <dreschs(_at_)mpd(_dot_)tandem(_dot_)com> wrote:
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl (Stephen R. van den Berg) said:
Sten Drescher <dreschs(_at_)mpd(_dot_)tandem(_dot_)com> wrote:
* 1 ?? .+

SRvdB> $1 is a pseudovariable.  So this doesn't work.

      That's what I thought the problem was.  Not having looked at the
code, is there any chance of having this restriction removed in a future
version?

Very unlikely.  Since it would add more than justifiable bloat to the
code.  Also...

 It's annoying having to do a 'FILED=$-' every time I want to
see if a mail has been filed and carboned.

I don't really see what the problem is here.  What do you mean, "every time"?
What does this have to do with $1?

SRvdB> * ARGUMENT ?? ^^[^/ ]+^^ mail.$1.spool

      I there any particular reason for doing it this way, rather than
'* ARGUMENT ?? .+'?

Yes.  But this was left as an excercise to the reader.  Now you make me
say it, this is normally not how things work :-).
It makes sure that the *entire* value of argument does not contain blanks
or slashes.  This avoids opening up some possible security holes.
--
Sincerely,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl

Are they twins?  Yes.  Are they *both* yours?