Re: bouncing and more

1995-11-30 23:38:53

Sounds like you want to implement some sort of ignore-them-and-make-
sure-they-know-I'm-ignoring-them routine.  It's possible, but think
for a minute what the consequences will be.

suppose user X emails me letter Y from system Z.

Okay, that required, say, Y' bytes of bandwidth.  You propose to
mail that same message back to X, plus a file of your own.  That's
going to take up 2*Y'+Q total bytes of bandwidth in an exchange
with - as far as I can see - no more usefulness than two children
in a shouting match.

You might consider something a bit kinder to the rest of the net
by sending a simple note the *first* time they mail you.  This
is based on the vacation(1) recipe in procmailex(5):

:0 Wh: screamingmatch.lock
*
^From(_dot_)*other(_dot_)person(_dot_)in(_dot_)screaming(_dot_)match(_at_)wherever
* !^FROM_DAEMON
| formail -rD 1000 screamingmatch.cache

  :0 ehc
  | (formail -rA"Precedence: junk" -A"X-Loop:
sliver(_at_)stars(_dot_)sfsu(_dot_)edu"; \
     /usr/ucb/echo "\nI am ignoring your mail.  Go away.\n\n\n-- "; \
     cat $HOME/.signature \
    ) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

(Test this first, I'm working from pseudo-memory.)  The idea is to
check if the sender has recently sent you mail.  If so, reply with a
brief statement.  The incoming message is lost.

Luck++;
Phil

--
#include<std/disclaimer.h>               The gods do not protect fools. Fools
finger pedwards(_at_)gamma(_dot_)cs(_dot_)wright(_dot_)edu      are protected