Longish (simple?) forwarding problem

1995-12-05 20:50:19
Hi,

I have a problem that *seems* like it should be trivial... but hasn't proven
to be so.  I've been beating my head against the wall for weeks on this will
absolutely NO success. ARRGGGHHHHH!!!

Here's the deal:
  I'm setting up a mailing list of about 150 people.  I have NO access
to the normal alias conventions of the 'mylist-list(_at_)blah(_dot_)com' sort.
The
have only one address that will handle not only the list but also my
normal mail.  Soooo.... this needs something like procmail.  To
differentiate normal mail from list mail, the users will add a phrase
like "myMailList message" somewhere in the body (or headers).  Whenever
procmail sees this, it will pass the message to *some* program or script
that will bounce it to everybody on the list.  Simple, huh?

Here are the external programs I've tried:
  Mreply(msend) -- No luck getting it to accept different headers
  SmartList -- apparently need the name-list(_at_)blah convention
  Homemade scripts -- bleah!
  Someone else's script -- almost...

Here's what I want:
  A person on the list sends a message to kegranro(_at_)mtu(_dot_)edu with the
phrase
"myMailList message" ANYWHERE in it.  This gets bounced to everybody else on
the list (the file containing the names can be in pretty much any format).
The headers need to be altered, first, though.  I want the Subject: and From:
headers to remain static.  That is, they must be the same in the original AND
the bounced message.  This is so that it will look like the message came from
the original sender and not from me.

  The To: header should also look like "To: myMailLIST " instead of "To:
their(_at_)real(_dot_)address".  And FINALLY, it needs to have a "Reply-To:
kegranro(_at_)mtu(_dot_)edu" header (so people can reply to it).

  This shouldn't look to odd to any of you.  Afterall, this is much how ANY
"real" mailing list works (like
procmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE).

The biggest problem:
  I haven't found any program that will format the headers right and still
send it to a list of people, ONE AT A TIME.

So?
  I'm asking for your help.  Do you know of a way that I could pull this off?
Or should I give it up?

  If you need more info, I'd be glad to supply it.  I would have here, but
this post was getting a mite long as it is :-)

Hope to hear from you!
--
                                   wWw
|email: kegranro(_at_)mtu(_dot_)edu  \ a GNU generation!    \ full speed
ahead!!  |