disabled accounts (was Re: limits on formail)

1995-12-14 08:35:17

From: Peter Pak <pakp(_at_)cs(_dot_)acu(_dot_)edu>

We are also looking for something to handle this problem, but we are
interested in having a bounce message go back as if from the
mailer-daemon with an appropriate error message.  By the time the
$HOME/.procmailrc is read, procmail is running as that user so the recipe
probably needs to go in /etc/procmailrc.  Has anyone done this?  Is it
better to just throw mail into the bit bucket?

It would depend on whether the account is only going to be disabled
for a short period (e.g., a single term), or if it's a long period
of disabling followed by certain account deletion.  Since many of
our students take a few quarters off and then return, we just toast
the mail and then remove the .forward upon re-enabling.

One student's account that we disabled (before the current scheme
was in place) received so much mail that after trying more friendly
methods, one of our sysops simply placed an X in front of the
username in the passwd database.  Mail from the talkative mailing
lists bounced because "foobar" was no longer a valid user at our
site.  The list servers -- being well-behaved and intelligent --
automatically unsubscribed him after two or three bounces (i.e., in
under twenty minutes).

One single mailing list owner, instead of unsubscribing him,
finger'd our site using foobar's last name; fingerd politely matched
the GECOS field, and suddenly Xfoobar was subscribed to the list, and
receiving $MANY Kbytes of mail.  Our sysops were less than thrilled on
that occasion.  Since they had seen me do Odd Things with procmail, I
was asked to come up with a scheme for toasting mass-mail for disabled
accounts.  Thus was born the setup I showed earlier.

Just my two timeslices, and an example of how difficult it can be
dealing with mass mail.  We eventually decided that a near-blanket
solution was better, and if the student comes back within a year,
all of his personal mail will be waiting, and his mailing-list stuff
will magically start arriving again.

Luck++;
Phil

--
#include<std/disclaimer.h>               The gods do not protect fools. Fools
finger pedwards(_at_)gamma(_dot_)cs(_dot_)wright(_dot_)edu      are protected