AFS and .forward part 2

1995-12-21 23:00:55
Hello!  I recently voiced my anguish at not being able to get AFS and
procmail to live together in peace and harmony, and in the first posting
included a poor .forward file that I was using.  Here's the .forward file
I'm using now:

"|IFS=' '&&p=/afs/ualberta.ca/home/c/f/cfms/procmail/bin/procmail&&
   test -f $p&&exec $p -Yf-||exit 75 #cfms"

(there's no line break in the .forward file though).

I have my .procmailrc file set up to find out if there's a key word in
the subject field, and if the word isn't found to forward the mail to a
different account.  If one of the key words is found procmail does all
sorts of nifty things including parsing various parts of the mail message
into various files for later fiddling by a shell script which is invoked
after procmail finishes.

I can invoke procmail from a shell to sort out mail that I've already
received and everything works fine.  I can put the .forward file in place
and get mail without any of the key words to be forwarded to the different
account (although nothing about this activity is recorded in my from file).
BUT, I can't get procmail to use the .forward file to parse the mail message
into various files then evoke the shell script.  I don't even get the
mail bouncing back to the sender.  It just sort of disappears into
cyberspace.

A while back someone suggested to me that the problem was that AFS
doesn't like procmail automatically writing into files and some sort of
ticket or something bizzare that I'd never heard of before was required
to make AFS happy.

Could someone please, please, please offer me some suggestions as to why
this thing ain't flying.

Thanks in advance,

Trent Semeniuk
tsemeniu(_at_)gpu(_dot_)srv(_dot_)ualberta(_dot_)ca