Mail delivery and NIS

1995-12-28 11:56:09
Many apologizes if this question is covered in the docs somewhere (I
didn't see it.)

Our situation:  40 UNIX machines, set up as sendmail clients.  They all
forward mail to a mailhub.

We would like to make the mailhub an NIS slave.  Right now, the NIS
master does a "ypcat passwd | rcp ..." to the mailhub.  We can't use
netgroups to control access.  We also have 18,000 passwd entries, and
would like to be able to use dbm calls for username lookups.

Our dilemma:  I remember a couple of years ago I was fooling
around with NIS between a couple of machines.  All was fine, UNTIL the
master started a ypxfr.  During the transfer, some people could not login,
and some mail would bounce, because the respective dbm entries had not
yet been copied over.

Is this a valid concern, or does procmail have a method of detecting a
ypxfr, and waiting for it to finish before doing a username lookup?

Again, apologizes if this has been answered in a manual/FAQ I missed.
(If it has, please tell me!)

Thanks!

Dave Brady
Sr Unix Systems Analyst
Faculty of Arts and Sciences Computer Services
Harvard University
brady(_at_)fas(_dot_)harvard(_dot_)edu
(617) 495-9280