Re: Using BSD Mail to read from my mbox

1996-01-03 19:05:29

Hi folks, I have just installed and configured procmail-3.11pre4. My
question deals with the behaviour of the BSD Mail utility. I used to
be able to read my mail from the $HOME/mbox file but since installing
procmail, the Mail utility seems to ignore the contents of the mbox.
If I run "Mail" it tells me that I have no mail. If I start it up with
Mail -f mbox, then I can see the messages. Am I doing something wrong?
Is there some recipe I need to add to my .procmailrc file?

It isn't procmail which is responsible for *reading* the
mail.  Procmail only delivers the mail; it's up to you
to read it.

The procmail package comes with three Bourne shell scripts
called {1,2,3}rmail, in the examples directory.  You should
use a script based on one of those to read the mail.

(Incidentally, Stephen, there's a typo in those scripts.  It
should be "your" favourite mailer.  :-)

Luck++;
Phil

--
#include<std/disclaimer.h>               The gods do not protect fools. Fools
finger pedwards(_at_)gamma(_dot_)cs(_dot_)wright(_dot_)edu      are protected