Re: Procmail and Solaris 2.5

1996-01-15 19:10:02
On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Stuart Elby wrote:

"|IFS=' ' &&exec /export/home/dssar1/elby/bin/procmail -Y -f-||exit 75 #elby".

I found that by removing the kludge '#elby' from the above command, everything
SEEMS to work fine.  Can you give me some insight into what send mail problem
the #USER-NAME kludge was suppose to fix?

Some old sendmail versions cannot distinguish between different users if
their .forward entries are exactly the same. The result being that mail
addressed to several users only get delivered to one of the users,
assuming they all have the same path to the program - procmail in this
case. But as You have Your program in a private bin-dir, so long as You
don't tell others about it, it may work anyway.

                                           Does a newer version of send mail
that is used in Solaris 2.5 no longer need this kludge? Or am I setting
myself
up for disaster by removing it from the .forward file?

Most vendor-sendmail-code _is_ very old sendmail. With sendmail it is
customary to install newer versions on mailhubs etc. Check with your
administrators or run sendmail -d to find out the version. (Check under
/usr/sbin or /usr/lib or ...) If it is sendmail-8.something, I think it
will work without the kludge. Wityh older sendmails, and vendor-specific
sendmails, I'm not so sure. One alternative way would be that every user
that uses procmail this way has a personal soft-link to the exec, and
that this softlink appears in the path! That should solve everything!

-- Leif Erlingsson, http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/1998, +46 8 604 0995
                        Use the Internet Address Finder, http://www.iaf.net