Re: GNUS how-to (was: Mail Readers?)

1996-01-17 15:10:05
"valery" == valery  <valery(_at_)domovoy(_dot_)math(_dot_)uga(_dot_)edu>
writes:

   valery> Does anybody care to explain why I should bother with
   valery> (ding)gnus ? I believe all that's needed is

   valery> C-u M-x gnus RET :Localnews RET

   valery> and a .procmailrc that contains lines like

   valery> NEWSDIR=$HOME/Localnews # You'd better make sure it exists

   valery> :0: ^(TO|Resent-From.*|X-Mailing-List.*)procmail
   valery> $NEWSDIR/procmail/.

I'm assuming your question is "why should I use the spool file stuff
from ding, instead of letting procmail deliver directly?"  The answer
to that one is that if you do this, there is no locking, and your
.overview files are not updated (assuming you are using nnml, which
you should be, since otherwise there is little benefit to use
procmail).  There is a hack available to update your .overview files,
but again, there is no locking, so you can never delete mail from
gnus.  If you use your recipe, some of your mail *will* end up in
limbo.

If your question was instead "why should I use (ding)gnus instead of
gnus 4.1?", the answer is different.  (ding) rocks.  it is
*significantly* faster than gnus 4.1, and has more features than you
can shake a stick at. (I can shake a tick at quite a few features, but
I can't use all of ding's).

--
Joe Hildebrand                  Fuentez Systems Concepts
hildjj(_at_)fuentez(_dot_)com              11781 Lee-Jackson Hwy, Suite 700