Re: Procmail and POP server!

1996-01-24 15:23:30
Mentor Cana <cana(_at_)menger(_dot_)eecs(_dot_)stevens-tech(_dot_)edu> writes:
Is there a way to setup on the server side (UNIX) so that my pop client
will read the mailboxes that are different then
/var/spool/mail/<username> ?
It seems that POP clients look only at at the default mailbox
/var/spool/mail/<username>.

This is configured when the pop server is compiled (though I believe that
some may be able to override the compiled in value with a command line
flag).  If you are wondering how to let the popclient access more than
one mailbox, the answer is, "you're using the wrong protocol".  POP is
designed for only one mailbox.  If you want remote access to multiple
mailboxes then you should be using IMAP.

BTW: as this question has nothing to do with procmail, it would be more
appropriately asked on something like comp.mail.misc, as the people there
will know more about the trade-offs involved, and what the state of the
technology is.

Philip Guenther

Philip Guenther                 UNIX Systems and Network Administrator
Internet: guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu   Phonenet: (507) 933-7596
Gustavus Adolphus College       St. Peter, MN 56082-1498
Source code never lies (it just misleads).  (Programming by Purloined Letter?)