Re: How to Set Up Auto Reply

1996-01-25 03:31:00
On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, George W. Fleming wrote:

Just picked up a copy of procmail-3.10....

I want to use it to send an auto-acknowledgement to all incoming
email messages.  What's the best way to do this?

I've found that if I put the following in my .forward:

 \user, "| formail -r | /usr/lib/sendmail -t"

then I sort of get what I want, except that I can't specify a
message to send back with.  Though formail is mentioned as the
way to do auto-replies, there doesn't seem to be any example on
how this is actually done.

George

Hi George,
I suggest you to write the following in your ~/.forward:

"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -t- || exit 75 #YOUR_LOGIN_NAME"

then you write the following in your ~/.procmailrc:

    :0 h c
    * !^FROM_DAEMON
    | (formail -r -A"Precedence: junk" \
        -A"X-Loop: your(_at_)own(_dot_)mail(_dot_)address" ; \
       echo "YOUR MESSAGE") | $SENDMAIL -t

In this way you have a simple customizable autoreply recipe ...
You can see procmailex.5 for more details.

I hope that's work fine ...

Have a nice day,
Luke

   Luca Molteni         E-Mail:
molteni(_at_)ic8wd2(_dot_)settimo(_dot_)italtel(_dot_)it
   Italtel SIT SpA
   Castelletto di Settimo Milanese
   Milano - Italy