Re: Question about procmail on HPUX with HP-Vue

1996-02-11 17:14:31
Phil Calvin wrote to us:

Procmail writes to the console, which, though it's technically behind the
HP-VUE session, actually messes with the screen of whoever is on the
mailhost machine at the time.  Does not make Mr. Sysadmin happy, if you
know what I mean.

Is there anyway to make procmail run "silently" or to force it to not
write to the console?

It seems to work correctly except for this minor problem...

Thanks in advance, and please forward all replies to me as well as to the
list, as I'm not on the list.

What you need to do is run at least one instance of hpterm with the -C
option.  This indicates that the window should receive console output
instead of the console output clobbering up your screen.

Now, ``xterm -C'' might work actually on your system, but that option was
never supported on my system and if it doesn't work on yours, then ``hpterm
-C'' definitely will.  If, on the other hand, ``xterm -C'' does work, then
there's a good chance that someone re-compiled xterm with some patches and I
want those patches.

For this option to work, you'll have to authorize the server to receive it.
This is done by creating the ``/usr/lib/X11/Xconsoles'' file. Its contents
are discussed in the hpterm(1) manual page, under the section ``XCONSOLES'',
but if you just put a line containing ``0'' (without the quotes) in the
file, then *I* *think* it will work fine.  But since I don't have root
access on my system I can't try it and see if it works so don't quote me on
that.

Hope this helps.

--
Darren Stuart Embry * http://www.spd.louisville.edu/~dsembr01/

Being ashamed because you're different is the sickest kind of lie.
        -- Kinghorse