Subject-Lookup Questions

1996-02-29 22:02:51
I'm trying to provide a simple auto-responder subject-lookup
facility, and have two questions so far:

Is there a way to provide exclusion within a single-line recipe?
Say the query specifies "ups" to get messages about power supplies.
Is there a way to exclude messages about "tape backups?"  I know
we have | within the regex, but is there a way to do & as well?

Can someone explain to me why the following regex matches ALL subjects?

:0 HW
* ^Subject:.*(floating point)|(div(ide)? by (zero)|(0))

It works fine if you change the last part to: ...by (zero|0))

It's not obvious to me why the first version fails so completely.
If I could explain why in my auto-responder man page, I'd feel a
lot better.

Thanks,

jimo(_at_)eskimo(_dot_)com