Re: Echo replier: sending back headers and body

1996-03-19 11:45:03

But I would like to send back the headers (and may be the body) of the
original message. How could I do it in procmail?

Here is the current setup:

# Echo service
:0:/tmp/echo.procmail.lock
* ^To: *echo
* !^FROM_DAEMON
| (formail -rt -A"Precedence: junk" \
         -A"X-URL: http://www.my.domain/"; \
         -A"From: postmaster (Echo service)" \
          -A"X-Loop: echo(_at_)my(_dot_)domain" ; \
         echo "Message received."; \
         echo "A small ad"; \
         echo "http://www.my.domain/";) | $SENDMAIL -t

     -r    Generate an auto-reply  header.   This  will  normally
          throw  away all the existing fields (except X-Loop:) in
          the original message, fields you wish to preserve  need
          to  be  named  using  the   -i option.  If you use this
          option in conjunction with -k, you can prevent the body
          from being `escaped' by also specifying -b.

I think the man page quote from formail above pretty much sums it up.
for sending back the body, also see the -k flag for formail.

Having the header quoted as part of the body of your reply might be
a little tougher. One way to do it would be to use variables to
store elements of the header with formail -x.

HEADER=`formail -X Subject: -X From: -X To: -X Date: -X Sender .. etc`
and then you can echo it back in your second formail.

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University
                        doug(_at_)eng(_dot_)auburn(_dot_)edu
                Pro is to Con as progress is to congress