Re: Auto File Retrieval Recipe

1996-04-14 16:16:59
On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Philip Guenther wrote:

: Paul O Bartlett <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net> writes:
: ...

: Your condition currently reads:
: >  * ^Subject: +get +file +\/[^ ]*

: Procmail's regexps are slightly non-standard in that [...]

: The solution is to force procmail to match at least one character on the
: right hand side of the \/ operator.  For instance, changing the "[^ ]*"
: to "[^ ]+" will work.  procmail will be forced to find the first non-space
: character after it matches "file ".

:    * ^Subject: +get +file +\/[^ ]+

    I made this change, and it now works fine.  Thank you very much!

: ...
: >    Second point.  Some of the files in my ftp lib are binary, [...]
:
: You can always match against the filename and go from there, but rather
: than limit myself to the ending I remember to add, I'd be tempted to
: cheat and use perl's -T and -B operators to make the choice.  To quote
: the perlfunc manpage:

    Because I know even less perl than procmail, I will have to study
this one for a while.  I did want to acknowledge your kind solution to
the first part right away.

    You suggest using base64 encoding rather than uuencode.  All the
files in my ftp lib are either straight text files, which need no
encoding, or MS-DOS binary files of one kind or another.  I could be
wrong, but my observation seems to be that MD-DOS'ers are less familiar
with base64 than with uuencode.  On newsgroups, I have seen far more
inquiries, What is base64???, than I have seen, What is uuencode???  In
fact, I'm not sure I even have a base64 coder for MS-DOS myself.  That
is why I said uuencode.  (In fact, my ftp lib has a self-extracting
ASCII-but-executable uudecoder in it, courtesy of Jim Tucker's NETRUN
program.)

Thanks again.
Paul                             <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  URL: http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart