Simple Private Mailing List

1996-04-16 18:53:18
    Just for the record, SmartList is not available to me.

    Suppose I want to implement something like a simple, private,
manually-maintained mailing list.  Through the good offices of another
reader, I have a good part of the code.  However, there is a thing or
two I am uncertain of.

    The list of subscribers itself is in a simple ASCII file of
addresses, $HOME/userlist, in the format:

user1(_at_)foo(_dot_)bar,user2(_at_)some(_dot_)domain,user3(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)else,user4(_at_)who(_dot_)knows,...

    1)  Is it possible to write a recipe condition which will determine
whether the sender of a message is contained in this list, so that only
list members may invoke the list code?

    2)  Once a message has been passed and formail has massaged it
appropriately, what is the most efficient way to forward it to
everybody?  Presently I have this (within a nesting block):

    :0 fw
    | formail -A ...         # whole bunch of formail stuff

    :0 c
    archive.file             # save a copy of the message in the archive

    :0 a
    ! `cat $HOME/userlist`   # forward to all list members

Is there a practical upper limit as to how many addresses
$HOME/userlist may contain?

Thanks.
Paul                             <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  URL: http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart