Re: Strange formail return code

1996-05-08 14:25:59
Guy Geens asked,

| Is this a known bug in formail? I want to save the first message from a
| digest, using:
|
| :0:
| | formail -1 -ds >>folder
|
| in a recipe my .procmailrc (This is in a braced group which is only
| executed when I'm sure it's a digest message). When I try to do this,
| formail works as expected, but it returns exit code 74. It doesn't
| generate any other diagnostics. This causes procmail to think there was
| something wrong and it continues processing the mail (what I don't want).
| Has anyone else seen this?

Just a guess: formail is exiting after breaking one message (actually,
the headers and the table of contents) out of the digest, so it isn't
reading the entire input.  That wouldn't cause an exit status error
from formail, but it could bother procmail.

Have you tried adding an `i' flag?  I'd also recommend a local lockfile
(a second colon is enough, since there is an implicit name) in case two
digest issues arrive at once, unless you already have a regional lockfile
in effect inside the same braces.