Re: USER variable

1996-06-11 08:46:15
Gary Fischman asked something that reformatted to read,

| Why, in some recipes, do I get a "USER: Undefined variable" error?  Is
| procmail or formail expecting that to be defined?  If so, what should it be
| set to?  None of the recipes fail, they just dump an error into the log file.

Some versions of procmail predefine USER=$LOGNAME; some do not.  Perhaps you
are using one of the latter and have a recipe that refers to $USER or which
calls a program or script that references $USER.

What happens if you put

  :0 # if $USER is unset, set it equal to $LOGNAME
  * $ ${USER+!}
  { USER = $LOGNAME }

near the beginning of your .procmailrc, or if you replace $USER in the recipe
[or in the script it calls] with ${USER-$LOGNAME} instead?