Re: How Do I Get Started?

1996-06-19 11:23:39
Hi.  I live in Menlo Park, California and I am setting up a listserver for
the San Francisco Section of the American Society for Quality Control (ASQC).
 I have an ISP and the listserver (SmartList ?) is operational, but none of
us know how to administer it (we're Unix challenged).

My questions are:
1.  Can somebody (me) learn to run this?  I don't know unix. Also, while the
list is maintained at one ISP (mousewerks.com), my ISPs are AOL and WCO.com.
2.  Although there are no restrictions on subscribing, we would like to
configure it so that only myself and maybe one or two others can actually
post.
3.  How do I [remotely?] add a bunch (100+) names to the subscription list?
 Can I sign people up or do they have to do that themselves?
4.  If anyone lives/works in the Silicon Valley/San Francisco Bay Area, I
would love to talk with you.  I'll even buy lunch if you're open to it.
Sorry for the long winded post, but I am determined to get our listserver
working, even if I have no clue about what I'm doing.
Thanks for your help.
David Blackwood
Menlo Park, CA  W (415)-473-7961  H (415)-323-5080

After an initial amount of sysadmin help setting up the list, anyone
(non-root) can manage it.

1. Yes.  No-unix specific skills needed, although understanding Unix
   will help understand how the archives are stored, and maintained.

2. No problem.  See the "Smartlist" manual for details.

3. You need remote login access to the mailer system, or "rhosts" access
   by which you can fetch, update, and replace the "dist" file.

4. Read the Smartlist Manual.  If you still need help, read it again.
   If you *still* need help, send me a private email.
Alan Stebbens         <stebbens(_at_)sgi(_dot_)com>         (415) 933-6437
Interactive Digital Systems (IDS), Silicon Graphics, Inc. (SGI)
M/S:9L991, 2011 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View, CA 94043