Re: Rejecting multiple names/subjects at once?

1996-07-05 17:41:29
Era Eriksson answered Mike Rose,

| As your file doesn't really contain regexps, you can use fgrep
| instead. It will tolerate more and (according to conventional wisdom)
| run faster if you are looking for many things in parallel.

I think it *is* supposed to contain regexps (hence the period instead of
an @-sign in the last line).  That's why Alan's code had

    echo "$FROM" | egrep -f $BADADDRS

and not simply

    fgrep "$FROM" $BADADDRS

Perhaps Mike would get better results if he escaped all the other periods
in the file, which apparently are supposed to match only literal periods:

  u1(_at_)alpha\(_dot_)beta\(_dot_)gamma
  u2(_at_)delta\(_dot_)epsilon
  u3(_at_)foo\(_dot_)bar\(_dot_)baz
  u4(_at_)plugh\(_dot_)plover
  u5(_at_)xyzzy\(_dot_)com
  u6(_at_)frobozz\(_dot_)magic-wells\(_dot_)com
  mrose.stsci\.edu