Procmail rejects zsh as being "broken"

1996-08-01 01:31:43
Hi!

I recently installed procmail-3.11pre4 under zsh-3.0pre4. When running
'make init' procmail gave me warning, that `/opt/local/bin/zsh is broken'.
I checked initmake script and here is relevant part:

case "$SHELL" in
       *zsh*) $RM src/_autotst
            $SHELL <<HERE
            O="echo test >src/_autotst"
            exec 2>$DEVNULL
            \$O
HERE
           if test ! -f src/_autotst
           then
              echo "Warning: your $SHELL is broken, avoiding it"; SHELL=""
           fi ;;

The test seems to imply, that in
% foo="echo test > test"
% $foo

the line is to be rescanned for I/O redirections *after* foo is expanded.
I am not aware of any shell to behave this way.

Do I  miss something? What is the sense of this test? And why it is done
only for zsh ;)?

thanks in advance

greetings

Andrej Borsenkow                Fax:   +7 (095) 252 01 05
SNI ITS Moscow                  Tel:   +7 (095) 252 13 88

NERV:  borsenkow.msk            E-Mail: borsenkow(_dot_)msk(_at_)sni(_dot_)de