Re: [Q]. sh: Procmail not available for sendmail programs

1996-08-01 08:04:26
Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg(_at_)iss(_dot_)nus(_dot_)sg> writes:
Hi, MY home dir was mounted by may mailhost so my .forward file was
not being read by sendmail. I asked my sysadmin to do the needful and
when she was done she sent me this cryptic message (which I assume is
from some log files). I have no clue of what this means. No log was
created by procmail. I have verbose=ON in my .procmailrc file

sh: procmail not available for sendmail programs
Service unavailable

This message is from smrsh, the sendmail restricted shell.  smrsh is a
replacement for /bin/sh for the "prog" mailer which restricts itself to
running programs placed in a particular directory, /usr/adm/sm.bin by
default, though whoever compiled smrsh at your site may have changed
that.  smrsh will give the above message if there isn't an executable
(by *you*) copy of or link to the procmail binary located in
/usr/adm/sm.bin (or whereever smrsh was compiled for).  Your sysadmin
needs to place a copy of or link to the procmail binary in the correct
directory, then everything should start working.  If she's not sure where
smrsh was compiled to look, the following should reveal it:

        strings /PATH/TO/smrsh | grep / | grep -v /bin/sh

She'll need to fill in the path to smrsh of course.

Philip Guenther