Re: How do I ...

1996-08-07 12:04:12
Jonathan Allen asked,

| How do I do the following:
|
|    pick out certain mail, either by subject, source address or a 'resent'
|    address, and leave that in the normal email box, while sending sending
|    everything else on to another address ?
|
| I am trying to set up a 'vacation' like mechanism, for when I am away on
| business trips.  I want the majority of non-urgent stuff from mailing lists
| and some status mails to simply await my return on my usual machine, but
| the important stuff to be forwarded into my lap-top's uucp queue for
| picking up by dial-up collection while I am away.

Simple enough:

 :0:
 * conditions for being left behind
 $DEFAULT

 :0
 ! you(_at_)temporary_address

If the various kinds of mail that are to be left behind can't all be
described at once,

 :0:
 * first class of conditions for being left behind
 $DEFAULT

 :0:
 * second class of conditions for being left behind
 $DEFAULT

... and so forth until ...

 :0
 ! you(_at_)temporary_address

If it's easier to list the characteristics of mail that should get forwarded
than those of mail that should be left behind,

 :0
 * conditions for forwarding
 ! you(_at_)temporary_address

and other mail will go to $DEFAULT by, dare I say it, default.

There are many other ways one can do this, but the above is probably the
simplest to explain.

Since it appears that this is a feature you will be turning on and off
frequently, you might want to have a variable to set or unset early in
your .procmailrc and make all the recipes dependent (by enclosing them
in a pair of braces with the variable's status as a condition, for example)
on the state of that variable.  That way you'll have one quick edit every
time you leave and every time you return.