Re: Messing with E-mail Headers

1996-08-09 15:35:16
A few corrections to my own earlier reply to you...

    > When the MTA receives the e-mail from the MUA at stage [3], it may
    > insert additional headers showing the origination of the e-mail:
    >
    >     From          # if local e-mail, automatic or by -f option
--> >     Date          # If not already present

should read:

          Date:         # If not already present

There is no "Date " header; it is "Date:".

The following paragraph:

    > Some sites insert special rewrite rules and filtering to occur to
    > support virtual domains, and these header changes will occur at stage
    > [5], just before the incoming mail is dropped.  Generally, though, no
    > new headers are added, except possibly one to avoid loops:

is poorly written (I'm actually home sick, and I guess it is showing..:^{ )
It should read:

     Some sites insert special rewrite rules and filtering to support
     virtual domains, and these header changes may occur at stage [5],
     just before the incoming mail is dropped.  Generally, though, no
     new headers are added, except possibly one to avoid loops:

The recipe below has an unecessary line.  Clearing the DATE var is not
necessary.

    > Changing the "From " before it gets dropped is easy.  Just use a recipe
    > like this:
    >
    >     FROM=`formail -zxFrom:`
--> >     DATE=
    >     :0fh
    >     |formail -I"From  $FROM `date`"

I was going to write it like this:

        FROM=`formail -zxFrom:`
        DATE=`date`
        :0fh
        |formail -I"From  $FROM $DATE"

but, it is slightly more brief this way:

        FROM=`formail -zxFrom:`
        :0fh
        |formail -I"From  $FROM `date`"

Alan