Re: Ignoring and/or Bouncing mail?

1996-08-11 11:32:41
[snip]

The reason why I put the lock on "badguys" is so that you can use the
following procedure to safely update the file without possibly causing
the fgrep perform falsely:

    lockfile badguys.lock
    vi badguys
    rm -f badguys.lock

Is there a similar way to protect .procmailrc itself while editing it?
I usually edit ".newprocmailrc" and then hope a "mv" doesn't cause
trouble.  But sometimes I'm lazy  :-)  And I don't trust mv to
guarantee that one or the other of the old/new files will be found,
especially over NFS.

In fact, would badguys.lock even work over NFS?  (Most general
case would be MDA on one machine, the lockfile on a second, and
the user on a third, all separated by NFS interfaces, I guess.)

BTW, I'd recommend the "addbadguy" script Alan suggested rather than
the three-liner quoted above, because the latter could leave the
thing locked for hours if you get distracted while editing.

Cheers,
Stan Ryckman (stanr(_at_)tiac(_dot_)net)