Re: List owners' recipes?

1996-08-13 21:50:13
I've recently jumped into the role of a "list owner" and am wondering
if anyone has developed good filters for handling mail "bounces".

[lots of bounce cases omitted]

Please review SmartList, which is a mailing list management software on
top of procmail.  It already has a mechanism for automatically dealing
with bounced e-mail addresses.  This includes many, very heuristic rules
for recognizing bounced e-mail, and more importantly, recognizing the
one e-mail address of the usually many within which actually caused the
bounce.

Of course, being a work of performance art, SmartList is still in need
of additional, special-case heuristics to handle the incredible variety
of wonderfuly strange bounced emails that are possible.

So, rather than build yet another complete infrastructure for handling
bounced emails, why not convert to SmartList and build upon its existing
ruleset, and become a "contributing artist" to that body of work.

Alan (a procmail dabbler) Stebbens
Alan Stebbens <stebbens(_at_)sgi(_dot_)com>      http://reality.sgi.com/stebbens

PS: Follow my URL to the "mail" link and find useful SmartList library
for making remote management of SmartList lists easier.