Re: problem with formail

1996-08-20 13:49:16
Georgios Vetoulis asked,

| I have been noticing a strange problem with formail in my log-files.
| I am using the duplicate message detection feature
|
| :0 Wh: msgid.lock
| | formail -D 16384 $MAILDIR/.stat/msgid.cache

| Why do I get the following in my log-file?

| procmail: [29096] Tue Aug 20 00:13:08 1996
| procmail: Locking "msgid.lock"
| procmail: Executing "formail,-D,16384,/u/vetoulis/TAXY/.stat/msgid.cache"
| procmail: Program failure (1) of "formail"
| procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=formail -D 16384
/u/vetoulis/TAXY/.stat/msgid.cache"
| procmail: Unlocking "msgid.lock"

Because you're supposed to when the incoming message is not a duplicate.

| What is the program failure?

It means that formail's exit code was not zero.  And that's GOOD, because
formail -D's exit code is 1 when the item is not a duplicate and 0 when it
is.  Short explanation: it's designed that way to interface more easily with
procmail.  (If something really went wrong, such as not being able to find
or read or create the cache file, formail -D would leave an exit code of 2
or more, I believe.)