Re: pronunciation

1996-08-27 12:48:09
In high school algebra class, I wondered publically why the abbreviation
for cosine theta + i sine theta, cis theta, was pronounced "sis" theta
rather than "kiss" theta.  I maintained that since it was Kosine, it
should be Kis.

It was immediately pointed out to me that in English, c's before i's and
e's are soft ("s"); all other c's are hard ("k").  This from another
student; I can't think of exceptions right now, but there must be some.

So, by English-language tradition, it's "prokmail."
--
                Hugh Pritchard, Smoke N' Mirrors, 703/318-1440,
Hugh(_at_)snm(_dot_)com