comsat for Solaris 2.4

1996-09-03 05:11:10
Hi all,

Just subscribed to this group, so forgive me if this question has been
asked before, but I have searched all the archives I could find and
couldn't get an answer....

My question relates to the use of comsat/biff with procmail. I am
running procmail 3.10 on my Sun Sparc under Solaris 2.4, very
successfully I may add. However, I understand that to get proper biff
notifications whilst using procmail to sort mail into different folders,
I need to use a new version of the comsat daemon. I've tried using the
one available at:

ftp://weber.ucsd.edu/pub/corrigan/xcomsat.tar.gz

but I've had some problems. To get it to compile under Solaris 2.4
(using gcc) I had to add: -I /usr/ucbinclude and -lucb -lnsl -lsocket to
the compile lines in the Makefile.dist. Once I had done this, it compiled
no problem.  However, when I try to run it from inetd, I get error
messages such as:

Sep  3 12:51:50 theboard inetd[181]: /export/home/gavin/comsat/comsat: Child
Status Changed
Sep  3 12:52:39 theboard inetd[22060]: comsat/udp server failing (looping),
service terminated

and no mail notification from biff!

Has anyone got a newer version of comsat working under Solaris? Help!

Gavin Aiken

Address:    Newsquest (Lancashire)     |         Email:
gavin(_at_)newsquest(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
                  Newspaper House      |         Web:     www.newsquest.co.uk
                      High Street      |         Work:     +44 (0)1254 678678
                        Blackburn      |         Fax:      +44 (0)1254 673347
                          BB1 1HT      |         Home:     +44 (0)1254 812956