Re: formail reply headers

1996-09-06 20:10:04
Can anyone tell me where I can find a detailed description of the rules
used by formail when generating a reply header? When I receive messages
with a From_ header and a Return Path: header, it seems to use these.
My understanding is that it should use the address in the From: header.

"Use the source, Luke!"

From formail.c:

/*
 *      sender determination fields in order of importance/reliability
 *      reply-address determination fields (wrepl specifies the weight
 *      for regular replies, wtrepl specifies the weight for trusted users)
 *
 *      I bet this is the first time you see a bar graph in C-source-code :-)
 */
static const struct {const char*head;int len,wrepl,wtrepl;}sest[]=
{ sslbar(replyto        ,"******"       ,"********"     ),
  sslbar(Fromm          ,"*"            ,"*******"      ),
  sslbar(retreceiptto   ,"********"     ,"*****"        ),
  sslbar(sender         ,"*****"        ,"******"       ),
  sslbar(res_replyto    ,"***********"  ,"***********"  ),
  sslbar(res_from       ,"***foo***"    ,"***bar****"   ),
  sslbar(errorsto       ,"*******"      ,"****"         ),
  sslbar(path           ,"**"           ,"*"            ),
  sslbar(returnpath     ,"***"          ,"***"          ),
  sslbar(From_          ,"****"         ,"**"           )
};

The length of each bar-graph determines the corresponding header
field's precedence/priority.
Alan Stebbens <stebbens(_at_)sgi(_dot_)com>      http://reality.sgi.com/stebbens