Re: Procmail and Solaris 2.5.1

1996-09-06 22:58:57
Lewis Burgess <burgess(_at_)quickturn(_dot_)com> writes:
I compiled procmail on Solaris with a SYSTEM_MBOX of
/var/mail/$LOGNAME.  I'm using procmail with sendmail 8.7.5.

Mail hangs everytime it tries to deliver to a user who has vacation
turned on.  Also, a number of users have complained that mailtool
becomes confused quite often.

Is there a nuance that I'm missing?

With regards to mailtool, to quote the FAQ that comes with the source
code (you *did* read all the files that start with capital letters,
right???)...

16. My mailtool sometimes reports that it is confused about the state of
    the mailbox, or I get "Couldn't unlock" errors from procmail now and then,
    or sometimes it simply seems to hang just when new mail arrives.

        This is a known bug in the OpenLook mailtool.  It holds on to the
        kernel lock on the mail-spoolfile most of the time, and releases
        this lock when it shouldn't.  Either ask for a bugfix from your
        vendor (I'm not sure if a bugfix exists), or make sure that during
        the compilation of procmail both the fcntl() and lockf() locking
        methods are disabled (see config.h).

As for vacation, this would be a sendmail issue, as procmail isn't involved
at all when someone has a .forward file (unless it itself calls procmail).
What does the sendmail log show when it tries to deliver to the person
using vacation.

Philip Guenther