Re: Help: "sh: canno use & in command"?

1996-09-16 23:40:59
Tony Lam <tonyl(_at_)nms(_dot_)fnc(_dot_)fujitsu(_dot_)com> writes:
I'm trying to use procmail for a new accout I have and it seem doesn't
work. When I sent an email to the accout, the message was never delivered
and I got a returned mail with the following message:

 ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications ----- "|IFS='
' && exec /hinet/home/tony/bin/procmail || exit 75 # tony"
(unrecoverable error)
   (expanded from: <tony(_at_)hinet(_dot_)net>)

  ----- Transcript of session follows ----- sh: cannot use & in command
554 "|IFS=' ' && exec /hinet/home/tony/bin/procmail || exit 75 #
tony"...  Service unavailable

The "sh: cannot use & in command" is indicative that they're using
smrsh (SendMail Restricted Shell) at the site.  You'll need to talk
to the sysadmin and have them make procmail a legal program
to be run from .forward files.  This generally involved putting a
symbolic link to or copy of the procmail binary in /usr/adm/sm.bin,
or whatever path was compiled into smrsh.  At that point you should
create a .forward file with the following in it.

        procmail

That's all.  smrsh will provide the path, and the other parts won't be
needed.

Otherwise, there is *nothing* you can do until the sysadmin(s) fixes
this.

Philip Guenther