Re: rc.maillists

1996-09-17 18:25:41
    > This is my rc.maillists file.
    >
    > % cat rc.maillists
    > :0:
    > * ^TOhang-glide-d(_at_)lists(_dot_)utah(_dot_)edu
    > /var/mail/estone
    >
    > :0:
    > * ^TOprocmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
    > /var/mail/estone
    >
    > My .procmailrc file points to it:
    >
    > INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.maillists
    >
    > Problem: I want for all mail from any list entered into my
    > rc.maillists to go to my mail file, without having to survive any
    > other tests. The mail is being tested by recipes in my .procmailrc
    > file that are below the INCLUDERC. How can I make the first test
    > be for mailing list, and if true, bypass all other tests?

To answer your last question first: if a test succeeds, and its
corresponding action *delivers* the mail, then no further processing
will occur.

So, this description above sounds incorrect, or the action is not
succeeding.  Perhaps, the maildrop "/var/mail/estone" is not writable by
your process?

1. Are you sure that mail is being delivered correct?

2. If 1 is true, then are you sure that mail is still being processed
   after being written to /var/mail/estone?

To be sure, set these variables at the top of your .procmailrc:

    VERBOSE=yes LOGABSTRACT=yes LOGFILE=log

and, after running a test mail through your .procmailrc, check "log" to
see if you can discover exactly what is happening.

When procmail delivers a piece of mail, whether to a file or a
pipe-command, if the write succeeds, then the mail is considered to have
been delivered, and processing stops with that recipe file.

Here is the relevant text from "procmailrc":

       There are  two  kinds  of  recipes:  delivering  and  non-
       delivering  recipes.   If  a delivering recipe is found to
       match, procmail considers the mail (you guessed it) deliv-
       ered  and  will  cease  processing the rcfile after having
       successfully executed the action line of the recipe.  If a
       non-delivering recipe is found to match, processing of the
       rcfile will continue after the action line of this  recipe
       has been executed.

Alan Stebbens <aks(_at_)sgi(_dot_)com>      http://reality.sgi.com/aks