Re: Help!! procmail changes mailbox permissions!

1996-09-24 13:29:04
Virtual Joe <jduche(_at_)creighton(_dot_)edu> writes:
I just put procmail on an HPUX 10.01 machine (the same version, 3.10,
worked fine on a 9.04) and now when it runs it changes my mailbox
permissions causing mail to bounce since there is inadequate permissions!

It goes from: (I took out the boring stuff...)

-rw-rw----   jduche   mail  ...... jduche

to:

-rw-------   jduche   mail  ...... jduche

Why does it hate me?? Can somebody give me the correct incantation to make
it work? Is this a security feature? HHHEEELLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't hate you; yes, we can help you; yes, this is a securtiy
feature.

Any other questions?

Oh, that second question was really a request, silly me.  To quote
the procmail(1) manpage's MISCELLANEOUS section:

     If /var/mail/$LOGNAME already is a valid  mailbox,  but  has
     got too loose permissions on it, procmail will correct this.
     To prevent procmail from doing this make sure the u+x bit is
     set.

You should therefore execute the command:

        chmod u=rwx,g=rw /var/mail/jduche

(Or whatever the path to your system mailbox is...)

Stephen, perhaps a copy of that blurb should be put on the procmailrc(5)
manpage under the ORGMAIL variable?  I'm trying to think of som place
where it's more likely to be seen by those looking for it.

Philip Guenther