Latest Sendmail 8.7.6/8.6.12 problem with /etc/aliases and procmail.

1996-09-25 16:40:50

A user (I'll call "brokenuser" ) has had a "standard" .forward
file that looks like this for some time (it is world readable
and their shell is in /etc/shells):

"|FS=' ';exec /site/bin/procmail -f- #brokenuser"

But, after I installed the latest Sendmail as recommended
by the CERT Coordination Center sendmail stopped invoking
procmail for this user when they were sent sun-managers
E-mail (we are subscribed as plan_sun) via the following
two /etc/aliases list entries:

plan_sun:"|/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -fplan_sun-request plan_sun-out"
plan_sun-out:brokenuser,otheruser1,otheruser2,otheruser3

All other procmail filtering is working fine for this user, and
their .procmailrc file has not been changed. Sending the user
E-mail directly with a sun-managers header works; the problem seems
to be directly related to this /etc/aliases configuration
(recommended by Sun-Managers).

I installed procmail-3.10 but it did not help. I am NOT using the
Sendmail FEATURE(local_procmail) or MAILER(procmail) (and would
prefer not to).

The mail to plan_sun is not logged in brokenuser's procmail_log file, it is
simply dropped (other users on the list who do not use
procmail are getting the postings). (Of course, taking procmail
out of the picture by removing the brokenuser's .forward file
solves the problem).

I'm not sure if this is a procmail or a sendmail "problem" but would
be very grateful for any ideas.

Thank you very much, in advance,

--Karl

Karl Kopper