Re: Recipe Assistance...

1996-10-03 02:15:42
Hello.  From your description below, which I must admit is a little
unclear even after re-reading a few times, I don't see that you are
reading in mail and attempting to process the mail.  This is what
procmail is designed to do.  From the description, it seems that your
are attempting to generate files and possibly a small mail message
consisting of only a subject line.  But, again, I can't tell for sure.

A canon in systems analysis is to make sure that a proper requirements
specification has been obtained.  Perhaps, you can describe what you
are trying to do, in English, without worrying about the exact details,
ie: shell programming, procmail filters, etc.  These details obscure
any clear understanding of your needs.  It is like saying that you are
trying to use a hammer with screws, when your goal is to get the board
to stick to the wall: it removes the possibility of other solutions,
such as glue.

In other words, instead of saying that you must generate a file per
list, why not say what you are realling trying to accomplish.

* Are you sending email commands to the lists' request interface?
* Are you operating on the lists' files directly?
* What operations are you performing?

G'luck.

    > Hi There,
    >
    > I have been fiddling with recipes for the last few days, reading docs,
and
    > the archives, yet I am still plagued with a problem.
    >
    > I would be very glad if you would be able to assist me.
    >
    > I have a file that has the names of LISTSERV lists that I manage in it.
    >
    > e.g
    > KIDCAFE-SCHOOL
    > KIDOK
    > (60 lists deleted)
    >
    > I usually use a shell command to save me having to have huge shell
scripts
    > when I want to do something for *each* list.  (There are over 60 lists!)
    >
    > I usually use something like:
    >
    > for i in `cat $HOME/KIDSUBS/lists-nodak`
    > do
    > echo "GET $i (nolock" >> $HOME/.lists-nodak-getting
    > done
    >
    > or something like that....
    >
    > Now, when this comes to Procmail... I want to be able to read in the same
    > file with each line being a new variable that I can do a command on. As I
    > do in the above example.
    >
    > The subject lines that I want to look at look like this:
    >
    > File: "KIDCAFE-SCHOOL LIST"
    >
    > Where KIDCAFE-SCHOOL could be any one of the variables/lines/listnames in
    > the file I mentioned earlier.
    >
    > I want these files to then be simply put into separate files of the same
    > variable name.
    >
    > so KIDCAFE-SCHOOL in the subject line goes to a file called
KIDCAFE-SCHOOL.