Re: Splitting a VM mail folder into component messages

1996-10-04 07:00:58
On Thu, 3 Oct 1996 17:09:07 -0700,
"Kevin S. Ford" <ksford(_at_)nps(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil> wrote:
I'd like it if I could arrange this procedure so that each file gets
named according to some rule that depends on the contents of the file
and thus the message that it contains (ie, for any file containing a
single message, the filename is either the contents of the Date:
field, a concatenation of the Subject: and Date: fields together, or
maybe the Subject: field concatenated with the $FILENO variable that's
mentioned in the formail(1) manpage.

Write a Procmail recipe file to do this and do

    formail -s procmail .recipefile < folder

You might want to make sure you test this in an environment which uses
different default settings than your normal Procmail entirely, so as
not to fill your inbox with old messages if you miss something in the
filter, for example. (Setting ORGMAIL to something different should do
for that I think?)

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
See <http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~reriksso/> for mantra, disclaimer, etc.
* If you enjoy getting spam, I'd appreciate it if you'd register yourself