Re: using procmail recursively

1996-10-16 05:04:27

Hi.

Thank you Guy Geens! With your help I solved my problem!

Actually, my problem was that I did not know what my real problem was :-)

The real problem was:

a) Yesterday I started using a new POP client ("fetchmail"). The old one
("popclient") added a "From POPmail ..." line, but fetchmail try to guess
a suitable initial "From " line, from the real "From: ".

b) My awk-undigestifier copied this initial "From " to every individual
message.

c) In ~/.procmailrc, I had the rule for already-processed mail was *after*
the rule for still-digestified mail.

d) I was using "* ^From.*Linux-Announce-Request" for the digest rule
instead of "* ^From:.*Linux-Announce-Request"

As a result of this, already undigestified mail matched again the digest
rule because of the initial "From " ...

Now, my ~/.procmailrc file looks like this:

[ ... ]

MAILDIR=$HOME/mail/listas
LOGFILE=$HOME/mail/log/listas.log

:0
* ^Sender.*owner-linux-announce
linux-announce

MAILDIR=$HOME/tmp

# Safety net. This is the right place to put this.

:0 c
mail.`date +%Y-%m-%d`

:0
* ^From:.*Linux-Announce-Request
{
LOGABSTRACT=no

:0
| undigestify.linux-announce | formail -s procmail
}

MAILDIR=$HOME/mail/listas

[ ... ]

and this seems to work without local lock files.
Do I really need them?

Regards,

Santiago Vila <sanvila(_at_)ctv(_dot_)es>