Re: Can procmail replace altogether mail?

1996-10-17 18:02:38

Unless it's relevant to the question, please don't send huge MIME
messages to the list.  Out of the ~200 lines in the body of your
message, the TIFF in your .sig took up 150.  By characters, it was
much more.  Meanwhile, your question took up 3 lines.  MIME is great
for person-to-person, but for most lists where not everyone is
expecting MIME, it's just annoying.  If you want to discuss this,
please email me directly, using MIME if you want.  Thanks!

"Matthew N. Reichman" <reichman(_at_)usc(_dot_)edu> writes:
<bigger>Can procmail replace mail altogether such that my =
Mail.app can call up procmail instead of mail to handle =
everything?

What do you mean by "handle everything"?  Do you want procmail to
handle incoming mail?  Outgoing mail?  Both?  Incoming is relatively
easy.  Look for the appnmail package at a NeXT ftp archive near you,
and use it when you want to deliver mail to a folder besides
$DEFAULT.  Beware: Mail.app is unfriendly about holding a lock on a
mailbox as long as it's open, as so you can pile up appnmail processes
pretty quickly if you leave a mailbox open overnight.  I therefore
don't recommend doing this for most cases.

As for outgoing mail, Mail.app can be told to use another program to
deliver mail by assigning a value to the "Mailer" default.  See the
manpage for dwrite(1).  I'm not sure what arguments Mail.app passes to
the 'Mailer', so you may have to experiment with this to get it right.
Beware, part II: I'm doing this from memory of NeXTStep 2.x on m68k.
NS 3.x is quite different in many of these things, and so you should
take it all with a grain of salt as large as your computer.

Philip Guenther