Update: Smartlist, dist file contains control characters

1996-11-10 21:54:44

I posted this already to the Smartlist mailing list and got no one with
an answer.  So I am trying this on the procmail list, since I do use
Procmail 3.10 for part of the list and Smartlist 3.11pre4 for the
distribution.

here's my problem.  The dist file kept getting entries containing
gibberish characters Here is an example...

 ^X^?u^X^?u^P^ME$P^KM^L^?Q^METP^?u^Xh
 }^?^?   B^CD^T^ERt4     XK^E(_at_)^O^Lu

What I just discovered is that something is going wrong in flist where
everyone who writes in with a subscribe or unsubscribe they getan
accept note, similar to the example below...

You have added to the subscriber list of:

      old(_dot_)time(_dot_)radio(_at_)airwaves(_dot_)com

the following mail address:

      u^P^ME$P^KM^L^?Q^METP^?u^Xh
}^?^?   B^CD^T^ERt4     XK^E(_at_)^O^Lu

By default, copies of your own submissions will be returned....

------- end of example

I use procmail like this ...

:0c
* ^TOold(_dot_)time(_dot_)radio(_at_)airwaves
* !^From: old.time.radio
* !^From: otr(_at_)airwaves
* !^Subject: otr-digest
* !^FROM_MAILER
* !^Subject: Re: old.time.radio Digest
* !^Subject:.*subscribe
|/home/wdp/LIST/.bin/flist old.time.radio
:A:
LISTS/oldtime

------- end of example

I do not find this 'gibberish string' in any of the emails themselves.
Nor does it happen in the straight digest.  This just effects requests
and it seems to have gotten worse over time.  It didn't do it at all
when it was installed.  Please note that Procmail is being run
system-wide, but the Smartlist stuff resides in my $HOME.  It is a
BSDI Unix OS.

Can anyone Pleeeeeeeeeze help I have tried to resolve this and cannot
so far.  Also, please email if you can.  I have such an email load
with my groups that I have unsubed from all my high traffic lists.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

William Pfeiffer
Administrator: Old Time Radio Digest
wdp(_at_)airwaves(_dot_)com